Sunday, June 10, 2012

All about Me Me Me; and why I'm here, now.

You can thank on of my neighbors for the launching of this blog this weekend. Someone somewhere was burning brush in the area, which  just happened to  include some of a magical plant called poison ivy. Yes, poison ivy, when burned, becomes airborne, and comes looking for me. When I took Dog out when I got home from work Friday, I smelled smoke. No big deal. Saturday I woke up and realized I was going to the Book Sale/ Summer Reading grand opening looking sort of like a puffer fish. Yes, dear neighbor, airborne poison ivy will cover any exposed skin...hands, arms, feet, legs, face. It can get into someones eyes, ears, nose, even someones lungs.You get the picture.
 
I was far enough away point of origin that I was dealing with puffy eyes, and batches of blisters on my hands and arms. I figured I could wait till Monday to get the medication to tell my immune system to shut the hell up. You have to yell at my immune system, or else it just laughs at you. If fact, my immune system was having so much fun, it kept me up all night. All. Night. I figured I could lie in bed, awake, forcing myself not to scratch my face off, or get up and do something. Anything. 

and in my agony,
A BLOG IS BORN!
making use of the two years worth of articles, statistics, and readings about the
ROMANCE GENRE  

Every once in a while, I grab a book that has a lot of what might be called "man-titty" on the cover, flash it a someone, who I know won't be offended, sigh loudly, and whine "Look what I have to read for work!" with my best sad face. And before you ask, yes, I have read all three "Fifty Shades of Grey", and am doing my best to forget. Please, let me forget. Just for a while.  

 On Sunday morning I realized the rest of my face was getting red and blotchy and I was in for more fun. The fact that it was around my nose and mouth made me a bit concerned I might have inhaled. So I got to have the new experience of going to one of those quick care medical places. Just for context: I have a few auto-immune disorders, so I am no stranger to all sorts doctors, had a few hospital stays, and one trip to the emergency room for a migraine. (After six hours on a gurney, they gave me an ibuprofen, and charged me a lot of money) At the quick care place, it took half an hour, I got the medication I needed, and just had a co-pay. I gave the receptionist a happy thumbs-up while I was leaving, and cheerfully told her I'd be seeing them all again sometime. She looked kind of confused. I did a happy dance to the car. 

So that was my weekend, and is why it seems like I'm doing a whole bunch of stuff in one day. I'm really just pulling out files I've been working on over the last few years, using my 15 years at the library, a lifetime of reading everything I could get my hands on, and 25 years of concentrated reading of romances. I have a few things to say.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mom!

    Guess what? I'm getting a copy of Emma, the Marvel adaptation and I'm excited to tear into it because I all ready don't like the art.

    I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete